Saturday, January 13, 2007

Dorothy's New Dress From Tonner

Just a little tidbit I thought I'd mention .... I don't know if this is the case or not but it appears to me that the Picnic with Auntie Em outfit was inspired by a test dress for the Wizard of Oz film. The dress was started and may not have been entirely completed when it was decided Dorothy's shoes would change from silver to red. It's not a great pic, but here it is in the upper left of the page. A red jumper with white polka dots.
http://ritadubasdesign.com/wizardryofoz/oz_04.html

This dress can also be seen in The Judy Garland Collector's Guide by Edward Pardella.

I always thought it would be really neat for someone to do a series of Dorothy dolls based on the test dresses and hairstyles from early test photos. The Tonner dress is the next best thing! Dorothy aficionados like me might want to consider adding this to their collections.